They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Love Today

This weekend, I decided once again to try to make the most of my Saturday morning, when the roads are clear, the stores are practically empty, and the checkout lines are short. Here's what I managed to accomplish:
  • Took car in for maintenance: oil changed, tires rotated, wiper blades replaced
  • While waiting for my car, completed some paperwork that has been sitting on my desk at work for weeks
  • Went grocery shopping at Whole Foods
  • Bought workout clothes at Target (after consistently going to the gym for over a year now, I figure it's probably time to invest in clothing that was actually intended for exercise)
  • Ran 3.5 miles at the gym; I'm pretty sure this is the longest I've run in about 10 years, and it's definitely the longest I've run in the last 5 years. I was super excited.
I was finished with all of this by 12:30; it was awesome to have that much done so early in the day. With all of that behind me, I enjoyed a lovely afternoon. The weather has been sunny and around 60 degrees. Dan and I walked over to Washington University for the Buder Center Pow Wow, which we've attended annually for the last few years, then took a nap together on the couch. I talked to my mom, snuggled with the cat, and enjoyed some delicious raspberry sorbet. Tonight, Dan and I are opening up a bottle of wine, eating some cheesecake with cherries, and starting work on a new puzzle (one of our favorite things to do together).

For me, it's a perfect balance of things--feeling productive and getting some much-needed things off of my "to do" list, experiencing the first day this year that truly feels like spring, enjoying some tasty treats and a bottle of wine, and taking some time to just sit back, relax, and realize how much I have to be happy about.

I love today.

3 comments:

Niki said...

A) I'm super-impressed that you did all that before 12:30, especially because car mechanics were involved. Once that took 3 hours from my Saturday alone.

B) Congrats on the 3.5 miles!

C) I heart Target's workout clothes. Target and Old Navy keep my workout invigorated.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lovely and fulfilling combination of activities for a day.

ashley said...

I wish I would try that more often. I enjoy the day when I get out of bed and get things done...but that getting out of bed part is so hard. :)