I realize that I am probably boring the hell out of you talking about my damn produce. Still, I can't help the joy it brings me, so bear with me if you can.
Our second CSA delivery brought the following: broccoli, chard, lettuce, sweet onions, parsley, rosemary, baby spinach, and garlic scapes. (Garlic scapes were new to us--they look like little green whips and taste like garlicky green onions.)


We used some of the rosemary to make a delicious rosemary-infused olive oil, then used the rest of the rosemary and some parsley to make a yummilicious pesto on Sunday night. Mmmmm.
On Saturday morning, I headed over to the farmers' market, determined to get the last of the strawberries. I bought two quarts of them, two pounds of cherries, and some peas, all of which are probably coming to their end this season.
I froze most of the strawberries. Here they are, spread out on a pan, waiting to go in the freezer. I thought they looked so pretty that I decided to take a picture.

Using the ones that were a little too soft for the freezer, I made some strawberry bread. I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of vegan baking, but I decided to be brave and make some vegan substitutions to a standard recipe. Luckily, it turned out moist and delicious.

I am really loving the excitement of each new CSA delivery and of each new trip to the farmers' market. I've always tried to eat locally when I can, but having better access to markets and being able to join a CSA is really changing the way I think about my food, and I couldn't be happier.
1 comment:
I never get tired of hearing about produce. :)
I just read that you can add spinach to pesto, makes it a brighter green? I plan to try that next time.
Post a Comment