They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tomatoes are here!

Since summer began, I have been patiently waiting for the first tomatoes. There arrive a little later here in Pennsylvania than they do in the South and Missouri, so I've had to wait a little longer than usual. I was starting to wonder if maybe our CSA didn't include tomatoes when the first ones arrived last week! Also included in our share: green beans, baby salad greens, potatoes, zucchini, beets with greens, a fresh onion, and the most glorious, beautiful, heavenly scented fresh basil!


With tomatoes and fresh basil in our box, there was only one thing to do: combine it with some fresh mozzarella, olive oil, and cracked pepper for the most delicious summer salad I have had yet this season (we also had some scrumptious crusty bread on the side). Oh, my gosh. So good.

3 comments:

penelope said...

Caprese salad is one my favorites. So good. I like a little sea salt on it, too.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Yum! That looks and sounds delicious.

I'm proud of you for holding out, but . . . no tomatoes till mid-July? I suppose I'm a Georgian through and through. I can't imagine going that long into summer with no tomatoes. (Local ones are SO much better. I've gone crazy eating them nearly daily lately, which is bad since I'm mildly allergic to them. Tomato zits, here I come! But it might be worth it.)

jenn said...

I think tomatoes usually come a little earlier in the season, but crazy spring weather threw things off a bit. Still, it did seem like a very long wait!

It was definitely difficult to hold out, but frankly, store-bought tomatoes are just so poor in comparison that it's not that hard. If I had decided to give in and buy some at the store, I know I would have been disappointed.