They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How Can I Love You Better?

Whole Living has become my favorite magazine in the last couple of years. Recently, I read an article called "The Love Experiment: One Question That Changes Everything", and I found it so inspiring and thought-provoking that I felt compelled to share.

The article centers around the author's experience asking the people in her life just one question: "How can I love you better?" Something about that question, phrased in that way, really stopped me in my tracks. When I first looked at it, it seemed like such an obvious question, and yet I don't think it's one that I've ever asked anyone before in such a direct way. I felt so energized and inspired by the thought of it that I imagined myself immediately calling up the ones I love most and asking them how I can love them better. . . until I realized both how potentially awkward and potentially terrifying it might be both to ask the question and to get the answer. Since I first read the article a couple of weeks ago, I've been thinking on and off that it's a question I both want and need to ask. And yet, during that time, I have yet to ask it of anyone.

So, today I share the article in the hopes that a) it might also inspire some of you and b) that a public posting will provide me with the extra motivation to really step up and ask the ones around me how I can love them better. It seems so obvious, but if I want to know how to be a better wife, or a better daughter, or a better sister, or a better friend, perhaps I should just go straight to the source and do both the simplest and the hardest thing: just ask.

1 comment:

Andria said...

this is a great thing to asked our loved ones...I hope you've been able to do so and gotten some helpful responses that are manageable! I can imagine it's a hard question to answer as well.