About one year ago (January 27, 2007, to be exact), Dan and I loaded two kitties from the Humane Society into cat carriers and drove them home. Their names at the time were Venus and Saturn, and they had been up for adoption for almost a year. Saturn cried all the way to our house; Venus threw up. They then proceeded to hide under the bed, looking terrified.
Since then, Elsie (Venus) and Nessa (Saturn) have successfully taken over the house and have successfully earned the title of "my babies," a title I used to mock other pet parents for using. I simply adore them, and Dan makes fun of me for treating them like children. I hung stockings for them at Christmas and filled them with toys and treats. I have developed a habit of semi-routinely popping into PetSmart and picking up toys for them, knowing full well that the cuteness or cleverness of said toys will be completely lost on my cats and that they are more interested in bugs and toilet paper rolls. And, in lieu of celebrating their birthdays (their birthdays being unknown), I decided to celebrate their Adoption Day. (Celebrate is a bit of a loose term in this case, meaning that I post about them on my blog and give them a kitty treat.)
So, Happy Adoption Day to my sweet, adorable, playful, snuggly, beautiful girls. And may I also make a plug here to encourage the adoption of black cats (and dogs)--they are the least likely to be adopted, but in my mind, they are the best and the most beautiful!

5 comments:
They are so adorable!
Happy adoption day, kittens!!
Hooray for precious kitties! I'm so glad you and Dan finally added to your family - and especially that you rescued Elsie and Nessa! Stray cats make the best snugglers! :)
Happy Adoption Day to you and your beautiful girls! (Count me as one of those people who also looks upon her pet as her child, and even refers to herself as "mama" when speaking to the dog. So embarrassing.)
Awwww, such sweet kitties! After the first time you talked about adopting black kitties (maybe when you adopted them?), I decided that's what we'll get the next time unless one falls in our lap some other way.
They really do enrich life, don't they?
my cat's real birthday is also unknown, so i celebrate my cat's birthday on the anniversary of when she got fixed...i like adoption day better...i bet your girls like adoption day better too...
Post a Comment