They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rocka My Soul

For at least the last ten years, I've wanted to see a performance of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.



For various reasons, it did not happen. Thanks to a surprise birthday present from Dan, I finally got my chance tonight.

I can hardly find words to describe how in awe I was of this show. Tonight's performance had three different pieces: "Firebird," "The Golden Section," and Alvin Ailey's "Revelations." "Revelations" is probably the most beautiful and moving piece of choreography I have ever seen. I was teary-eyed the entire performance, and the segment below left tears streaming down my face.



If you ever have an opportunity to see "Revelations" performed, do not miss it. This is one of those nights I will never forget, and one of those performances that will stay with me forever.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What an exciting Birthday present! Jonathan and I went to see the Atlanta Ballet's production of Big last night. It was in collaboration with Big Boi from Outkast - It was one of the most exciting performances I have seen in years! Happy Early Birthday!