They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Signs of Spring (in Winter Weather)

One of my very favorite places in St. Louis is the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Dan and I have a membership there, attend several events there every year, and even got engaged there two and a half years ago. Despite all this, I always seem to miss the blooming of spring flowers every year; by the time I finally make it there in May or June, they have usually dwindled away.

Determined to witness the beauty of the tulips and daffodils this year, I marked my calendar for a visit to the Gardens this weekend. When I woke up yesterday morning, the forecast called for a high around 40 degrees, rain, sleet, and snow. Not exactly the sunny, 70-degree day I had been hoping for. Nonetheless, I pulled on my long underwear, hat, and gloves, packed up my camera, and decided to brave the winter weather.

Despite the chill and the complete lack of sunshine, it was definitely worth it. Some of the flowers were a little worse for the weather (not only due to the cold but also due to some very heavy winds we had on Friday), but there was still much beauty to behold. Needless to say, it was not crowded at all, so I really had an opportunity to get some good photos. And I only got rained on a little.

Tulips and Statue

More tulips

Daffodils

Another daffodil

And more daffodils!

Magnolia

Unbelievable cherry trees. These reminded me of when Anne of Green Gables arrives at The Avenue on Prince Edward Island and renames it "White Way to Light."

Cherry tree blossoms

Pansies (These always make me think of Ash!)

Hyacinth

I don't remember what these are, but they sure are cheerful!

1 comment:

ashley said...

When I was scrolling down, I saw the picture of the pansies before I saw the caption, and I thought, "I love pansies!" These are so vibrant!

The cherry trees look so romantical. Despite the wintry weather, it looks like you managed to get a taste of spring!