They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Monday, May 26, 2008

Strawberry Heaven

After much anticipation, this weekend marked the beginning of strawberry season in Missouri and Illinois! Dan and I got up on Saturday morning and drove over the river to Illinois to do our own strawberry picking. Unfortunately, the line was insanely long (apparently everyone else in Missouri is excited about strawberries, too). Instead of waiting to pick our own, we bought three quarts of those that were just picked, along with some other local items, including asparagus, homemade salsa and tortilla chips, and Missouri wine.

With so many strawberries, it was a bit of a strawberry festival at our house this weekend! For dinner on Sunday night, we had Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese Crostini (which was just as delicious the second time around). We had this again for lunch today, along with strawberry smoothies for breakfast and a strawberry pie (which I made this morning) as a treat this afternoon.

Then, if all of that strawberry goodness weren't enough, we drank our local strawberry wine while finishing up our latest 1000-piece puzzle. (The quality of the photo below isn't the greatest because I took it with my camera phone, but you get the idea.)

I only wish I knew how to preserve the fresh strawberries we have to enjoy later this year. I'm taking a canning/food preservation class this June, but unfortunately that will be a little too late. I will, however, have taken the class just in time for summer peaches and blackberries. . . mmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could just freeze the strawberries till your class if you have the space for that.

I love canning! We'll have to share recipes. :D

Someone I know who cans a HUGE amount of stuff every summer recommends Blue Ribbon Canning (she says every recipe works right), which you can get at some bookstores and on Amazon. I got most of my canning supplies at a hardware store here.

It's also possible you could dry them using the oven or maybe in the sun outside. . . .

ashley said...

Mama makes the most wonderful homemade strawberry jelly. Although, that's not the most healthful thing you could do with your strawberries... ;)

That puzzle is awesome! I love old Hollywood. It reminds me of the beginning of Singin' in the Rain when they're arriving at the theater.