They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Things I've Learned You Should NOT Do. . .

when regularly working 55+ hours per week, dragging your feet through the sludge of sleep deprivation, and trying not to become unglued while experiencing intense periods of chaos and stress.

You should NOT. . .
  • shop alone, particularly at the grocery store. If you do, you may end up with ridiculous items in your cart such as the Whole Foods "natural" version of chocolate pop-tarts. Which makes no sense because a) what the hell is a "natural" pop-tart? and b) you haven't eaten a chocolate pop-tart in years.
  • wear uncomfortable shoes, especially flats that rub off the skin on the outside of your pinky toe.
  • compare yourself to others who work less, make more money, and have more prestige (which, let's face it, includes most of my Masters-level peers).
  • feel guilty about unreturned e-mails and phone calls.
  • daydream about your next vacation, particularly if your next vacation is not coming until September, which is not soon enough to elicit any sighs of relief.
  • worry about the fact that the lack of cleanliness in your bathroom will soon create ideal conditions for all sorts of things that grow (and we're not talking plants here).
  • be chatty with people at the office, as they are all getting on your nerves due to work-induced stress. You will inevitably say something not nice.
  • delude yourself into thinking that you are still going to make it to the gym every morning.
  • position yourself anywhere close to an open bag of chips.
  • lose your sense of humor.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I SO hear you on the bag of chips! My version would be, "If you are unemployed, moving across the country, and waiting to hear back on the status of an interview you had for a job you would love, do not place your head inside a bag of Hint of Lime tortilla chips and inhale while watching Top Chef on Bravo."

I'm sending you love- hang in there!

tempe & chris said...

Something you SHOULD do:

Take care of yourself.

Hang in there! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor Jenn! Those are insane hours to work for any length of time at all.

The Pop Tart one cracks me up. Even in general, I shop with a list that I stick to for a very real reason, and that is my sudden urge in the store to buy a variety of things that I don't actually need (and which will quickly inflate my grocery bill beyond my grocery budget).

jenn said...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! It is end-of-fiscal-year bullshit that has created all this extra work; come July I will have a chance to breathe again.

Lena, you must fill me in on your interview! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (not that you need it, as you are totally brilliant and fabulous).

Sally, I'm totally with you on the grocery list. I always, always have one, and I rarely let my eyes wander over to other things. Except, apparently, when I'm stressed and sleep deprived. Then it appears that I half-consciously throw things like pop-tarts and fire-roasted veggie crackers(?)into my cart. Which is why I have added solo grocery shopping to my list of things I should never do again under similar circumstances. :)

ashley said...

Poor, Jenn! I hope you get some rest on this holiday weekend. I always find it hard - when I'm in that place - to stop the cycle of bad habits. I'm tired, but I'll stay up too late or I'm busy so I eat things I shouldn't. Hang in there, love!