It is quite possible that I am the last person under the age of 35 who has not actually experienced Pandora (I seem to be a year or two behind everyone else when it comes to all things Internet). In case your aren't familiar, it's a free music website where you essentially create your own "radio stations" by telling the site what music you like. Ashley mentioned it on her blog months ago, and I bookmarked the site, but sadly I never went any further than that. Last night, I was working late at the office, and I needed a pick-me-up. I decided to give Pandora a try and see if I might find some stress relief.
I started by typing in "Norah Jones," and the site played "Seven Years." It then moved on to songs by John Mayer, Sarah McLachlan, Jack Johnson, Natalie Merchant, KT Tunstall, Dido, Tori Amos, Ben Folds, and Eva Cassidy. . . hello! It was like half my CD collection came through my computer. . . I was so amazed that it found all this stuff I liked with only one artist suggestion! You must try it, people! It is magic!
Really, though, I am now kind of obsessed with Pandora. In addition to many of my faves, it also threw in several new/lesser-known artists I had never heard before and loved. You can rate the songs it gives you to help guide the selections. Of the 20 or so songs it played, there was only one I really didn't care for, and that was with no ratings at all and nothing to go on except the fact that I like Norah Jones.
Did I mention that it's free? You must try it. I insist. (Unless, of course, you are not a year behind on all things Internet as I am, and you have been using it for months. In which case, I insist that you keep using it, and give you full permission to sit back feeling slightly slug and amused at the girl who is so behind the Internet times.)
4 comments:
You are so funny! This blog made me really miss you and your sense of humor. I do heart pandora!
Nifty! I am going to try it this morning! Thanks for the tip!
Yes, I love it. Dan and I regularly end up buying the music we hear on there. It is a pretty amazing tool. It's fascinating to see which pieces of music I like are related musically in ways I wouldn't expect so that they come up on the same station. One of my favorite stations is my Indigo Girls station.
I LOVE Pandora! I use it all the time at work! I think my favorite stations at the moment are my Shins radio and Alexi Murdoch. I, too, have found many folks on here that have ended up on my iPod. Glad you're enjoying!
Post a Comment