On the plus side, I've been in pretty good spirits. Most days I feel optimistic that everything will come together soon. I still feel overwhelmed sometimes, and I teeter on the edge of getting into the doldrums, but so far I've managed to hang on and not fall in. This is very good.
And, of course, there are always good things in life, no matter the situation. Among the happier moments of the last week or so. . . .
- Dan and I headed up to New Jersey to visit friends last weekend, including an afternoon trip into Manhattan. I always feel so happy to be in NYC, and even happier remembering how easy it will be to visit now that we live so close! One of the greatest things, though, was just being around friends--the kind of friends with whom you put on your pajamas and lounge around drinking cocktails and playing "Rock Band." Perfect comfort.
- The weather finally warmed up enough for Dan and I to take a walk around our neighborhood, and I just love all the cute, cozy little houses here. It really makes us want to buy a house, though of course we'll have to wait. It's nice to daydream, though!
- I had a job interview last Wednesday. This was good for two reasons. . . not only was it a nice confidence boost, but it gave me an excuse to head into the heart of Philadelphia and see Center City again. I left thinking that the job wasn't really right for me (I'm not sure if I'd take it if they offered it to me), but it's always nice to have an interview, regardless. And I loved having an excuse to head downtown.
- I made chocolate chip cookies this weekend. I haven't had chocolate chip cookies in a long time. So delicious.
- I am, admittedly, quite enjoying reading the Twilight series. I'm about 150 pages into Eclipse. And unashamed to admit that I'm a little bit in love with a seventeen-year-old fictional vampire (though I quite love Jacob, too). It's been the perfect fluff reading for a stressful time. And, yes, I am enough of a dork that the "Twilight" movie is already at the top of my Netflix queue, awaiting the film's DVD release later this week.
- I've gotten very good at budget grocery shopping and meal planning. I'm really quite impressed with myself. I check sale ads, cut coupons, and plan around what's on sale. I've had to give up some of the things I really prefer (e.g., certain organic items and specialty foods), but it's also nice to realize what you can live without, and how much you can get for not a lot of money!
- TV on DVD continues to be my friend when I need a good escape. I'm almost finished with Season 2 of "Brothers & Sisters" (I now plan to be a regular viewer) and am on my way to "Project Runway" (which I've never seen before).
- My sister and brother-in-law are coming to visit next month! Pure excitement.
- I recently acquired a copy of a picture of my grandparents when they were a young couple. My mom has had it for a while, and I finally remembered to ask her to scan and e-mail it to me. My grandparents are the most amazing people. My grandfather died a few years ago, but my grandmother still lives independently in Ohio, riding her exercise bike each morning for an hour and doing a crossword puzzle daily at the age of 87. I'm convinced that everything I know about working hard, caring for others, and taking care of family comes from them. It's hard not to feel proud and humbled when I look at this photo. And aren't they so very cute?
2 comments:
You and your sister look so much like your grandmother!
I'm glad you've had some things making you happy. As I was just telling another job-hunting friend, it's often just so *soul-sucking* having to put yourself out there over and over and over. But I'm glad you and Dan have a financial cushion where you don't have to take the first option.
PS--Yes, the Twilight series ENTIRELY sucked me in. The movie is crap, but I'm still going to a Twilight pajama party to watch it on its first day on dvd next weekend!
i echo sally - you and your sister look SO much like your grandmother. wow.
yay for an interview! i completely sympathize with the 'when i'm busier, i'm more productive' thing. it's been hard keeping myself on track when i'm not constantly scheduled. luckily, i have been pretty ding-dang busy as of late.
unluckily, i've been too busy to loko for a second job...
but i have hope, and i'm glad you do, too. tv on dvd = Yay. especially for folks who just don't feel like paying for cable.
Post a Comment