They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Monday, March 23, 2009

Saying Hi

Today was a rough day. I am currently experiencing two of the most stressful life events at the same time: being unemployed and living in a new place. Sometimes it overwhelms me. Over the weekend, I started to really miss some of the comforts of my life in St. Louis and to wish for the familiarity of the things I left behind. I knew where my favorite restaurants were, and where to go for unique gifts, and how to get from point A to point B. My neighborhood was so lively and so close to everything. I could walk to dozens of shops and restaurants. There were trees outside my window. I loved, loved, loved my apartment.

My neighborhood here has some of the same qualities of my old place, but is lacking in the same vibrancy, especially now during the winter months. There are a few restaurants, but not many, and there is not really any local shopping nearby. My apartment is nice, but it doesn't quite feel like home yet, and my neighbors are a nightmare (on the upside, I learned today that the landlord is working on getting them out of here!). There is no green outside my window right now--just brown, lifeless branches and a parking lot. I don't yet feel any real connection to this place I'm in.

And, frankly, everything seems so hard. It's easy to forget all of the little things that you have to take care of when moving to a new city. Things like finding a doctor and a dentist; figuring out where the nearest coffee shop is; researching where to go for the best Mexican food; learning the best ways to avoid traffic; realizing you need a haircut, and then realizing you don't yet have a stylist. Everything takes longer and takes more steps. Sometimes, more than anything, I just wish those little things were easier, especially considering all the other, bigger worries that are weighing on me these days.

When I opened my e-mail inbox today, I had a newsletter from the Missouri Botanical Gardens, announcing the upcoming blooming of the cherry trees. I literally almost cried. The Gardens were my sanctuary and my favorite place in St. Louis, and I remember a particularly memorable visit there last year when the cherry trees were blooming in the most magical way. I felt so peaceful and comfortable on that day. It's a feeling I haven't really had a in a while.

It has all left me feeling kind of alone lately, like a stranger in a strange land.

In an effort to get out of the house and try to lift my spirits, Dan and I went to Starbucks earlier this evening (like so many things, we still don't know the local spots for coffee). There, printed on the side of my paper cup, was "The Way I See It #141."
I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stumped by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, "Hi." They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth that one word.
--Augusten Burroughs
Sometimes, in the most beautiful way, the right things come to you at the right time. With those simple words, I felt a little less strange, and a little less alone. True, right now, I am on the outside. But this printed message reminded me that I need to slowly make friends with this new place, and be open to the possibilities. One day, I just might feel married to this city, to my favorite places yet undiscovered.

As it turns out, thousands of cherry trees bloom in Fairmount Park every spring. Next month, when they are at their peak, I plan to go over and say, "Hi."

8 comments:

Niki said...

I love, love this post. So many times I have felt exactly like you feel (and sometimes still do, and definitely will again). Then somehow, without even realizing it, you become attached and within the new place instead of an being outsider. But oh how the beginning can be lonely and FRUSTRATING! Hugs hugs hugs!w

Anonymous said...

You're right, Jenn---moving is difficult in many ways. I'm sending you thoughts of warmth and friendship and comfort. The people (family or otherwise) that you know in PA--maybe this would be a good time to make plans with some of them? Just to feel that spirit of connectedness.

The quotation you posted is beautiful.

jenn said...

Thanks for the warm thoughts.

We do see our friends here pretty regularly, and we've caught up with family, too. It's not so much feeling alone in the sense that I don't know anyone; it's just feeling alone in not knowing the space around me and knowing how to go about everyday tasks. I know that will get better with time, though, and every time we have a chance to see friends, it definitely makes me feel better about being here.

Elizabeth said...

This was such a great post. I know exactly how you feel. My first day at UF I was walking out of the student union and a million people were walking into it for lunch. Everyone seemed to know exactly where they were going and what they were doing. I just went home and cried. Of course Paul McClain was also the only person I knew in the city that day! Really I felt out of sorts in Atlanta for a long time ( like I didn't really belong here) it wasn't until I got more invovled in our church and volunteering with Junior League that I finally felt connected. I know you will get that connection soon and I have to say my GPS is still my best friend.

Jennifer Walter said...

Great post! I clearly remember feeling the same way when we moved to Charlotte. It get better....I promise. It just take time. The begining of spring should help though.

Jennifer Walter said...

It seems I'm forgeting to use the letter "s" today. Sorry.

mamaevel said...

oh jenn, i hope today is better for you.

it's rough. and actually, what you're experiencing is what has held me back for years and years from moving far away from friends and family. i really admire you and dan, and how you guys figured out where you wanted to be and made it happen. i know that the rest of your life in philly will fall into place soon.

i also fervently believe in the restorative power of spring time. trust me, once pennsylvania realizes that the world is post-equinox, life is going to be way easier.

love love love

Andria said...

beautiful. Hope you get to say hi to your blooming trees soon.