They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Good Thing: My Step

As much as I miss the gym, I'm holding off on joining one until I'm sure we have the money. Luckily, I already have most of the things I need to do strength training at home (weights, a resistance band, a stability ball), so getting that done isn't too difficult. Cardio has been a little harder. The weather is getting nicer, so I'm able to get out more, but since I have knee problems, I can only run about once a week. I jump rope sometimes, but I'm sure it drives my downstairs neighbors insane. I get workout DVDs through Netflix from time to time, but I find that a lot of them aren't really intensive enough for me.

So, I went looking for other options. I happened across an adjustable step at Target for about $30.

I've always thought step aerobics seemed a little. . . not for me, and I was afraid that a $30 step would be too cheap to be sturdy, but it has proved to be a great investment. It actually came with two workout DVDs (one cardio and one strength training). I haven't done the strength training one (I love my weights and circuit training!), but the cardio one totally kicks my butt. The workout is on the short side, so I complete it twice back-to-back (sometimes with weights), and it gets my heart going just as much as running! It's a really great option if you are looking for a workout you can do at home. Maybe soon I'll have quads of steel!

1 comment:

mamaevel said...

actually, i've been thinking a lot about step aerobics lately...like, 15 years ago it was HUGE and now you don't hear so much about it.

and i've been tempted to see if my mom still has her old step and vhs tape...but mostly so i can irritate my CONSTANTLY BANJO PLAYING DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBOR by doing it in stripper heels...