They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Monday, September 7, 2009

Girlfriends

Dan's been gone since Friday at his annual "guys' weekend." Every year, he and three friends from high school--who were the groomsmen in our wedding--get together on Labor Day weekend. One year, they rented a houseboat and floated in the ocean for several days. Another year, they rented an RV and drove to different baseball games. This year, they are having a low-key weekend hanging out at Jim's house, watching movies, playing video games, and barbecuing.

I love that Dan takes this trip with his friends every year, and always encourage him to go. This year, though, the fact that Dan is hanging out all weekend with his best guy friends is a painful reminder of how much I miss my girlfriends. Dan and I are fortunate to already have some friends in this area, including two of the guys he is spending time with this weekend (as well as their wives and kids) plus a friend of mine from high school. But whenever we all get together, it's either as couples or with kids in tow. Since moving here in January, I have spent time exclusively with adult females on only two occasions: a happy hour drink with coworkers, and a day with my sister while she was visiting. Aside from that, "girls night" has meant hanging out with my two female cats.

I have so many amazing women in my life. I talk to them frequently and see them when I can, but it's not the same as having someone nearby. I need girlfriends. Of the local variety. Fabulous women with whom I can go to lunch or catch a cheesy movie or get an honest opinion on shoes. My life is sorely lacking in female camaraderie, and it's starting to get to me. I know it can take a long time to make friends in a new place, but in the meantime, I am watching every girly movie alone and making handbag purchases sans a second opinion.

To my current, far-away girlfriends: I miss you. To my yet-t0-be-discovered Philly girlfriends: please find me soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

seester i would be your girlfriend...i want to watch anne of green gables and eat pizza and drink dr.pepper! maybe not go handbag shopping...but everything else! ;)

Anonymous said...

Awww Jenn I miss you! I hope you find some local (NOT Loco!) girlfriends soon! That time with girls is so important! Hugs from far away! Sherronna