All of the sudden, it feels like everything is hitting me at once. Projects and tasks seem to be creeping up at an alarming rate, and I'm having to work very hard not to feel completely overwhelmed.
- To start, Dan and I are moving. We originally planned to stick it out in this apartment a little longer, but have decided it's time to leave behind our insanely loud, smokey neighbors, our lackluster neighborhood, and my miserable commute for an area we adore. All of the sudden, we are moving in about eight weeks. The apartment search has begun. And as you all know, this creates a laundry list of tasks, from obsessively checking Craigslist to making appointments to see rentals to viewing a number of places, many of which will inevitably turn out to be a disappointment. I can't even think about the actual moving and packing part yet.
- I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for Art-Reach, which is great, because I love it. It is, in fact, the coolest volunteer position I've ever had. But I signed up for a lot of stuff October-December before I knew I was going to move, and now I'm worried I signed up for too much. I can back out of some things if I need to--I'm sure they'd understand--but I'm new there, and I hate backing out of a commitment, especially one I know I'll really enjoy.
- I finally got myself in gear and applied to the state board for my social work licensure. Now I need to take the exam. Before January. I'm still trying to figure out how much I need to actually study for this thing (the study guide's advice is basically to review every social work textbook ever made), or whether I can just take it and do fine. Either way, I'm going to have to squeeze it in somewhere. Before the move.
- I love all things fall and almost all things holiday. Despite all the busyness that is lurking around the corner, I cannot give up this favorite time of year to do all the things I love: apple picking, drives to see fall leaves, festivals, holiday concerts, etc. I know it's good to keep doing things I enjoy and take a break from all of the madness, but I can already feel that these things are going to start feeling like obligations if I'm not careful. Even the recent brainstorming and Goodwill shopping for Halloween costumes in the last couple of weeks has had moments where it's lost its fun.
- Dan and I have decided, after talking about it for years, that we are finally going to Italy in the spring. Probably in April. And so, the trip planning begins (I'm over-the-moon excited about this trip but know that the planning piece of it will easily make me insane if I'm not careful).
- I finally got my own health insurance (and got off of Dan's) in September, so now is the time to catch up on all the overdue dental visits and doctor check-ups and trips to the optometrist (I'm starting to think it's time for new glasses). But, being new to the area, I first have to figure out where to go. There is nothing quite so fun as researching and testing out new medical professionals.
- My silly illness of late has really slowed me down (for four weeks now). I'm sloooowly getting better, but naps and/or lying on the couch have become an inevitable part of almost every day, and frankly, I just can't get as much done as I used to, which drives me crazy. It has also kept me away from my regular trips to the gym, which is my #1 stress reliever. Not good.
3 comments:
I totally get you on the commitments, exhaustion, etc. Tonight, I was getting ready to make dinner. I had been entirely excited about making a new recipe out of my Moosewood cookbook. But then . . . I couldn't find the dried mushrooms we'd bought. And then I found out Dan wouldn't be home in time for dinner. And as I dug through the fridge and still couldn't find the damn mushrooms and was feeling really stressed out and exhausted, I finally yelled, "AUUUUUUUUUGH." And then I realized, You know what, Sally? It's only dinner. And I made myself a sandwich instead.
But it's hard to keep that perspective sometimes.
I have stayed tired since getting whatever illness I got three weeks ago. I'm still coughing too. And I just feel like it's bullshit: people are not supposed to stay tired and coughy this long. But apparently this can last six weeks. Anyway, yes, it's frustrating.
I'm sooooo excited that you are going to Italy! That's so fantastic! What a wonderful trip.
Poor Sally. :( After four weeks, my tiredness is, I think, finally making a slow departure. I even headed back to the gym yesterday morning, though I took it REALLY easy, which was hard to do, but I don't want to end up moving backwards. I hope you are feeling better soon!
Thanks for your excitement about our trip. I have never been abroad and it's about damn time I go. I can't wait to take this trip and see beautiful Italy!
Yay for moving, Italy, and improving health!
Hope you feel 100% soon...and always remember you can (and must) back out of commitments if you simply cannot do it all.
Post a Comment