The week before Thanksgiving, Dan and I received our last CSA share for the season. My enthusiasm for farm-fresh produce never waiving, I continued to take pictures of each of our shares, each time, up until the very end. I'm not quite sure where those pictures are (on the camera? on my computer? on Dan's?), so I'll spare you yet another series of produce shots, but let me assure you that the beauty and deliciousness of my CSA vegetables far surpasses the less-than-lush, less-than-fresh produce I now find myself occasionally buying from the store.
As pleased as I was with our CSA experience, a new place means a new CSA for us this year. I had hoped to stick with our last farmer, but there just aren't any delivery sites convenient for us, so this year we're going with Willing Hands Organic Farm (www.willinghandsorganicfarm.com). I'm pumped because not only is it all organic (our last CSA was also, but I've discovered that sometimes organic ones can be hard to find around here), but we will pick up our share at the farmers' market, which means that we will have extra incentive to buy even more delicious, local items!
I'll put the application and check in the mail tomorrow. I'm so pumped and can't wait for the first box. Now I just have to be patient for five more months. . . .
2 comments:
Do you not have any farmer's markets that run year-round there?
Not any of which I am aware. All of the farmer's markets (and CSAs) I've seen begin around May and usually end between October and December. I seem to remember it being the same in St. Louis, too. I'm sure that, if I did a little more research, I might find some year-round options, though I suspect most of them would be in Philly, which is a bit of a drive for us. If we can find one that's convenient to us, I'm all for it!
Post a Comment