A couple weeks ago, Dan and I traveled to Asheville to celebrate Seester's graduation from her veterinary technician program. This was a grand accomplishment on many counts. For starters, during her two years in the program, she managed to work full-time, volunteer, plan a wedding, and still graduate. This, in itself, is an amazing feat. I have never witnessed anyone with a busier schedule than that of my sister during her two years in school. Every time I called her, it became a game of, "Where's Missy?," as there was never telling where she might be. And yet, despite all of this, she still came out with the highest GPA in her class and was accepted into one of the most prestigious vet tech internships in the country (yes, that's right, here's the bragging mom coming out).
For these things only, abundant applause is due. But perhaps even more applause-worthy is the journey she has embarked upon. My sister has always been an animal lover in the truest form. My entire family always thought she would work with animals, but as happens sometimes to all of us, she ran into bumps in the road that made her doubt herself. Slowly, but surely, she found the courage to drown out the noise, listen to herself, and make her way back to what she really wanted. Sometimes that is the hardest thing to do of all, and yet she put one foot in front of the other, never looking back.
And now? She is more confident in her work than I have ever seen her. She approaches her work with such passion and humor and integrity. She's an unbelievable advocate for animals. Everything she does, from drawing blood from a terrified cat to making sure a dog leaves this world with dignity and in peace, is infused with such courage and compassion. When you can patiently deal with an overbearing pet owner, brush a cat's teeth with the utmost care, and endure a nasty dog bite while still having compassion for the dog all in the same day, you are a pretty amazing individual. And my sister is, indeed, just that.
Congratulations to you, Seester, on a job well done, and on all the amazing work you continue to do. You have become such a confident and accomplished woman. I'm so very proud of you!

3 comments:
Congrats, Missy! I'm so proud of you, too! I know you're going to be such a blessing to all the furry friends of the world as you go forth and practice! Yay for Seester!
Yay, Seester!
I <3 Missy! yay for all of your successes and heartfelt endeavors and just sheer awesomeness.
Post a Comment