They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Things: Week 2

For my second week of new things, I finally got around to doing two little things I've been wanting to do for a long time.

In the past few years, I've tried as much as possible to use green/natural cleaning products in my home. The one exception has been dishwasher detergent, as over and over again I have found that eco-friendly dishwasher detergents do not get the job done in my crappy rental dishwashers.

Back in the spring, I read that you can use a mixture of half baking soda and half Borax in the dishwasher. I bought the Borax several months ago. Since that time, it has been sitting under my sink, next to a box of baking soda, next to the package of Method dish tablets that I continue to buy even though I'm not 100% happy with them. Sad, sad, sad. This weekend, I took the monumental step of actually getting the Borax and baking soda out, putting them into an old bottle, shaking it up, and putting some in the dishwasher. One more step toward a greener planet accomplished.

The other new thing that I've been wanting to do for ages is make my own bread. I'm just not satisfied with the taste and/or ingredients of so many store-bought breads, and I love the idea of having a home filled with the smells of a freshly baked loaf. I'm a bit of a novice baker, but I thought I'd finally give it a go!

Dough ready for the first rise (I'm wearing my mom's old Christmas apron. She had it when I was a kid, and I love to wear whenever I'm baking!)

Hot from the oven in all its multiseed glory

Warm slices of freshly baked bread = yumminess

I have to say that the bread turned out quite delicious--nice and crispy on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside, and it has a wonderfully hearty, rustic flavor (which is one of the things I love in a bread). I was surprised to discover how easy it was to make. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some other varieties!

No comments: