They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good Thing: "Adam"

Several weeks ago, the Blockbuster down the street from me closed its doors. They were selling DVDs for $2.50, and when I popped in to see what I could find, I came across "Adam," a movie that I watched a year or so ago and loved but had completely forgotten about. It tells the story of a romance between a neurotypical woman and her neighbor with Asperger's.

When I decided to buy the movie, I wasn't really thinking at all about autism or Asperger's, but just remembering that "Adam" was a movie I enjoyed. I didn't have a clue that my work would take me back into the field of autism spectrum disorders. Knowing now that is where I am headed, I decided that was all the more reason to watch it again. And I have to say that I found it to be moving and quirky and just lovely.

"Adam" is one of those movies I think everyone should see because it helps to tell the story of a disorder that is so often misunderstood in a compelling and honest way. If you don't know much about Asperger's, or if you would like to know more, or if you'd just like to see a smart, charming romance and a Sundance favorite, then I certainly recommend that you see it!

No comments: