They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Monday, February 11, 2008

Good Thing: Alternative Gift Registry

I can't remember where I learned about this. . . if I read about it, or if someone told me about it (and if someone who's reading this told me about it, sorry if I've failed to give you credit).

Anyway, my featured good thing for today is the Alternative Gift Registry where you can create your own custom-made registry. The focus is on making your celebration less consumer-focused by including handmade, secondhand, nonmaterial and/or eco-friendly items, which I think is fabulous. It's also nice because you can create a registry of items from multiple places rather than just focusing on one or two stores. And I love that a Pet Registry is one of their registry options.

In retrospect, I wish that Dan and I had used something like this when we got married (and, in general, I wish that we had made our wedding greener than we did--my only regret about the big day!). I think an alternative registry is such a wonderful idea (I'm thinking of starting one just to use for holidays/birthdays), and it's great to have a tool like this to utilize. Just thought I would share and help spread the word!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really cool idea. I forwarded it on to a pregnant friend who had said she would like secondhand items.

Monika said...

your blog is awesomeness!