They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Friday, February 29, 2008

The Vegan Experiment

After reading The China Study and learning about the benefits of a vegan diet, I've slooowly been moving in that direction, starting with a move to a vegetarian diet and then trying more and more to eat vegan meals. In addition to the health benefits of a vegan diet, I'm also drawn to it because I often worry about the impact eating animal products has on animals (though I could mitigate this by buying products from local farms where I can actually see how the animals are treated--this is something I really need to do). I must profess here that I will probably never, ever become vegan. I am most likely planning to give up eggs, and I can give up yogurt and possibly milk, but a life without cheese is an almost unbearable thought.

Nonetheless, I'm going to give it a try for the month of March. No eggs, no cheese, no milk, no animal products whatsoever. I just want to see how I feel, to see how difficult (or easy) it might actually prove to be, and then hopefully use it as a means to eat a more healthy, earth-friendly, animal-friendly diet from there on out. In February 2007, I went on a vegetarian trail diet for a month, just to see how I would do, and it stuck. I doubt that the same results will occur this time around, but I am interested to give it a try.

(By the way, for anyone who might be worried, I have done plenty of research on how to do this healthfully and in a nutritionally balanced way, so no worries.)

BUT, before March 1 arrives, I will enjoy the frozen pizza which I have just placed in the oven, all cheesy and golden brown. . . mmmmmm. I will be sure to enjoy every savory bite.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Its been too long since I've looked at your blog (I think I have a little bit of an excuse though!!!). J and I were eating mostly raw almost all of 2007 but I have to say that I couldn't give up cheese either and vegan cheese just isn't the same yummy gooeyness. However even mostly vegan is a huge difference in your health and your carbon footprint!

Niki said...

Good luck to you! I, too, have considered going vegan, but being a vegetarian allergic to soy means dairy/eggs are some of my best alternatives for protein. Oh, and there's no way in hell I could give up cheese either.

I might copy you, though - I considered going vegan for Lent (which is how my whole vegetarian nonsense got started a long time ago). I'll think about it (and I really need to read that book!).