They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ugh

The "Malfunction Indicator Light" has appeared on the dashboard of my car. I have checked all the things I know how to check (topped off fluids, made sure the battery is clean, tightened the gas cap, replaced the air filter). The light will not go away. This means I have no choice but to have it checked out. Ugh.

I've been fortunate to have no problems with my car for six and a half years. Unfortunately, this problem comes just before I am about to start my new job (I'm going for my drug test tomorrow, and it's looking like my first day will be Wednesday). I do not want to be the employee who has car problems on day one, which means that, in addition to paying for the repairs, I may need to pay for a rental car.

I have a strong suspicion that this might be an expensive problem (please, please do not let it be the fuel filter, which Hyundai has placed inside the gas tank and therefore it costs a billion dollars to replace). On the upside, at least this did not happen when I had no job prospects in sight, as it likely would have induced a complete and total panic attack. Still, it will be a while before that first paycheck comes in, and paying for car repairs is always painful.

Ugh, ugh, ugh. My relaxing Sunday just went a little sour.

3 comments:

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Ohhhh, that stinks, but---

You took the job! That's exciting!

Niki said...

Boo! What's going on with cars these days? You're the third person I know to have car trouble in the past month. Here's hoping yours isn't as expensive as the others'!

Good luck on your "test" tomorrow :)

mamaevel said...

oh no! car troubles are the worst.

but new jobs are the awesomest. i hope you get to start your job and your car on wednesday.

also, if you can find an auto parts store, most of them can hook into the computer on your car free of charge and read the code on the indcator light. hopefully it's covered by your warranty if it's a problem.