They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Finding a New Rhythm

So far, my new job is going wonderfully. I feel SO good about doing work that has an impact, that means something to me, that uses my skills, and that gives me opportunties to learn. The work is challenging but not overly stressful. My coworkers are great. The kids are adorable and often hilarious, as so many preschoolers are. So far, so good.

As expected, though, I'm having some problems regulating my routine. With the new commute, I have to leave my house about an hour earlier than I used to, though I get home around the same time. Adjusting to one hour isn't a huge difference, but my morning time is so valuable to me. For one, it used to be when I got to the gym; I'm still planning to do that if I can, but I haven't yet been able to adjust my sleep schedule to get up at 5:15 in the morning (yikes). I'm so much less motivated to work out in the evenings, and I find that exercising later in the day makes it difficult for me to get to bed at a reasonable hour. I also find that morning exercise really helps me feel clear-headed and energized at the start of the day, so I really need to try and find a way to get that time in during the morning hours if I can.

I actually think the real problem is getting to bed on time--if I can get to bed earlier, I can get up earlier, but cutting my evening an hour short is an adjustment I have yet to make. I just can't seem to get out of the rhythm of my usual evening routine and typical bedtime. As such, I either haven't been exercising enough or haven't been sleeping well, both of which seem to lead to other bad habits like not eating well. I have eaten undiclosable amounts of ice cream and cookies in the past two weeks, and I don't even usually keep ice cream and cookies in the house. I'm definitely feeling a bit of sorts right now in the area of self-care.

Between the new job and the house (if all goes well, we are scheduled to close July 22), I know that the next couple of months are going to be busy, to say the least. On the one hand, I feel the need to cut myself some slack and not worry too much about getting in exercise and making sure my meals consist of more than bread and cheese and tomato sauce (aka pizza). On the other hand, the times when we are most busy and stressed are the times that we most need good self-care, yes? Oh, the irony that the times we most need to tend to ourselves are the times when it's hardest to do so.

I'm going to try--really hard--to make bedtime a priority in the coming weeks. If I can just get to bed earlier, then I'm hoping I'll slowly be able to get up earlier. And if I can get up earlier, then I can get to the gym. And if I get to the gym, I'll feel inclined to eat better. And then it will just all magically fall into place, right? :) I sure hope it happens in some variation of this, because I'm seriously floundering a bit here, and I'm hoping I can figure out some way to get back on track. I suppose I'll start now by heading off to bed. . . .

1 comment:

Seester said...

Don't worry, you're not the only one that fell off the wagon in recent weeks...I can't remember the last time I went to the gym!!