They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Making Choices

For most of the day today, I volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters on a project called Making It Home. Families of little brothers and little sisters apply to have their homes completely transformed, including everything from structural repairs to organization to decorating. For this particular family, BBBS removed out-of-control mold from the walls, refinished the basement, redid the landscaping, and completely refurnished and decorated the entire house including new furniture and appliances, new coats of paint, wall hangings, lamps, bedding, accessories, etc. It was a bit like "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." I left before things were completely finished, but it was looking fantastic even at the almost-complete stage. It was a really neat thing to be a part of.

Of course, as with most all-day volunteer events, an array of edible treats was provided, including Krispy Kreme donuts, pizza, and frozen custard from Ted Drewes (a St. Louis classic). I have a lot of issues with food so it can be difficult for me to make healthy choices, and this was the first big challenge I've faced since beginning my vegan trial period (the first minor challenge was free cake at work on March 3). I have the ability to give up many things, but Krispy Kreme donuts? Those beautiful, crack-infused, melt-in-your-mouth wonders?

I have always had a hard time passing up free food. I still have this I-am-a-poor-college-student mentality that anything free placed in front of me must be eaten in its entirety. Sometimes, when I am having a hard time eating the right things, I tell myself, "Make a choice." Because I don't have to eat everything placed in front of me, and I don't have to continue bad eating habits. I can choose to do something different.

And, today, I chose to pass, even on the Krispy Kreme, even as it was being waved under my nose and people were (obnoxiously) taunting me to take a bite. While I of course have no objection to the occasional treat (I am not trying to suggest here that all junk food = evil), I had previously made a choice about my food for the month of March, and I wanted to stay true to it. I often feel like my food choices are beyond my control (e.g., I have a bad day and have suddenly downed half a pint of ice cream). But today, even with some of the most tempting things placed easily and freely before me, I maintained control of my choices in a way that surprised me. Passing on free Krispy Kreme and pizza is a huge victory for me. Please pardon me while I say to myself, "Yay, Jenn!"

3 comments:

Niki said...

Congratulations! That is no small feat! (Aside: Whenever a KK donut is placed in front of me, I try to imagine it as one giant circle of trans-fat. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I thought I'd throw it out there if anyone else has to stare down a KK; it can't hurt to have an arsenal of weapons against the bugger.)

Andria said...

wow. impressive! You have more will power than me, just seeing that dang picture makes me want to run out and find a HOT sign!

Luckily for me, the closest thing I have are the boxes that have been sitting in Publix for a while and are not quite so Hot or Fresh Now and a little easier to resist! But even then, I still cave sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Yay, Jenn!