They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Basil and Peaches (and a New Appreciation for Summer)

It is no surprise to anyone who knows me that I glean complete and total excitement from food. I am a girl who loves to eat. And while I admit to not being a fan of summer, I have to admit that I have been completely enthralled with summer produce. Last night, I managed to snag some locally grown tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, peppers, and eggplant. On Saturday, Dan and I are off to our favorite orchard to pick our own peaches and blackberries. Our meals for the next week are going to be a true cornucopia of summer, and I can't wait for the peach and blackberry cobbler that I'll be making this weekend (I must now close my eyes for just a moment and anticipate its goodness. . . mmmm).

On top of all of this, I also bought a bunch of locally grown basil. I have no idea why, but something about this basil is simply divine to me. It is so big, so lush, so pretty. And the scent is unbelievable. When I brought it home last night, I couldn't wait to show it to Dan. Just the sight and scent of it in our kitchen brings me such delight. Aside from strawberries, I can't remember being this excited about another piece of produce all season.

Tonight we enjoyed it in a Bulgur Wheat Salad with Tomato and Eggplant (a perfect recipe for summer). Later this week we'll use it to make a tomato and basil sauce with pasta, and then--a recipe I am eagerly anticipating--a Peach, Mozzarella, and Basil Salad. Fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and peaches picked right of the tree? I can hardly stand it. I must admit that summer's growing on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I just LOVE about eating seasonally/locally is how you get to fall in love with each fruit/vegetable in its season, get sick of it, and yearn for it again before it comes around once more. In this age when so much is before us for the grabbing, choosing to put that limitation on ourselves (especially when it means eating the tastiest produce available) is really a surprising joy.

Niki said...

You're making me hungry!

Niki said...

I will admit, at first the Peach, Mozzarella, and Basil Salad sounded a little strange. Then I thought, well, I love anything with fresh mozzarella, plus I love peaches.

I just made that salad and OH MY GOODNESS IT IS DELICIOUS! I'm having a hard time not eating the entire thing! (Thank you, Real Simple, for including calorie content and letting me know that would be about 800 calories - wow, I feel like a food nerd.)

Thanks for this recipe!