They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Worries

This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but the thoughts below have occupied me for most of the day. I'm in the process now of trying to let them go before I go to bed, reminding myself that everything will work out and that worrying is wasted energy. I'm trying. . . really I am. But I can't help feeling the weight of them. Sigh.
  1. If I'll ever have enough money to pay off my school loans and buy a house
  2. If my impending move to Pennsylvania will be the right choice*
  3. If the fact that Dan and I have decided to postpone our spring trip to Europe (see worry #1 compounded by flight costs and the devalued dollar) means that I'll keep putting it off and never actually get there
  4. If I'll ever settle into a job/career that will give me the time and resources to realize the dreams on my life list (see worry #3)
  5. If Dan and I will both be able to find jobs when we move, given the state of the economy
  6. If I'll ever figure out what kind of job I'm even going to look for (I love what I do now, but it can be so exhausting without much pay, and that always brings me back to worry #4)
  7. If I'll be able to make it home for Christmas, given financial constraints and vacation limitations. Dan and I celebrated Christmas alone here in St. Louis last year (after hosting our families for Thanksgiving). It was nice, but now that Adam is gone, the thought of not being home for Christmas is nearly unbearable.
*For those of you who don't know, Dan and I are planning to move to Pennsylvania next year to be closer to family and friends (mine on the Pittsburgh side of the state and Dan's closer to Philadelphia).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try to remind myself that life, even the difficult parts, has unfolded to teach me a lot and offer me beauty even when it didn't go the way I wanted it to. It's hard to keep in mind, but I do try to remind myself of that.

It's a stressful time of life. It's understandable you'd feel that pile coming on.