They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two Favorite Recipes for Summer

It's hard to believe that, in only a matter of weeks, summer will come to an end. I can't say that I'm too disappointed, as I love little more than I love fall, and the heat wave of the last few days has reminded me why summer has never been my favorite time of year. I cannot, however, complain about the abundance of produce that summer brings. Here are a few photos of the wonderful items we've enjoyed from our CSA and farmers market in recent weeks.



The white nectarines in the last photo were, hands down, the best nectarines I've ever eaten.

Here are two of my favorite recipes for summer. They are both quick, easy, and make for a delicious summer meal. I insist that you try them before the tomatoes and cucumbers disappear.

Cucumber and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

I've eaten at least three of these sandwiches this week. I love to pile on the watercress. Over the weekend, we had these sandwiches with some carrot and celery sticks with hummus.

White Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Crisped Sage
The sage really makes the recipe--it would still be good without it, but don't skip it if you can help it. We had this with corn on the cob on the side, and it was unbelievably good. It also is great for leftovers. A perfect meal for summer.

2 comments:

Jennifer Walter said...

I totally have CSA envy, Jen! Sadly our CSA farmer is a bit pathetic. I feel bad bashing him, but if you could see my share next to yours...it's comical. He started strong this spring with the greens but apparently that was his peak. I've gotten a total of 5 tomatoes this summer and they were only slightly larger than a ping pong ball. They definitely aren't picture worthy.

jenn said...

Well, some of this is also from the market, but most of it is from our CSA. I have to hand it to our farmer--his produce is always gorgeous. Sometimes I'm not sure if we are getting the right amount (since I don't have anything to compare it to), but I have never had complaints about the quality.

Hope that your farmer is able to turn it around or that you are able to find a better CSA next year!