They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Moment of Truth

While getting my weekly dose of "American Idol," I often see advertisements for FOX's new show, "The Moment of Truth." When I first saw a commercial for it, there was no doubt that this show meant a completely new low in the world of reality television.

Last night, I turned on FOX five minutes before 8:00 to catch "Idol," and in doing so I caught the last five minutes of "Truth." After a guy won $100,000 to admit that he had cheated on his wife with one of his friends' wives, the host asked, "What will it be. . . more tears or more money?" His wife was encouraging him to go on to the next level of $200,000, potentially opening herself up to more pain so her husband could double his take-home amount.

Lately, the commercials have been about how the contestants have risked ruining their marriages in order to win the big prize of $500,000. I realize that for some people watching this show is probably like driving by an accident--they know they shouldn't look, but they can't overcome the morbid curiosity. But what the hell is wrong with us that this is how we entertain ourselves? And what the hell must someone be thinking to be a contestant on this show and risk destroying their families for money?

I know our culture is obsessed with money and consumerism, but this is a new low I was not prepared for. Everything about this show really disturbs me, and I would like to officially declare it an abomination.

3 comments:

ashley said...

I'm with you, Jenn. I find it so, so upsetting. It's one thing to put yourself through eating cockroaches for money, but it's another to do irreparable harm to people you supposedly love.

I don't understand why people want to do it, and I don't understand why people watch it. I find it to be a microcosm of what's foul about our society. And the whole purpose of it - to humiliate, mortify, destroy - is totally despicable.

Elizabeth said...

I couldn't agree more. I can't even see the commercials without getting annoyed that this show is even on tv. I mean who actually watches something like that.

Anonymous said...

Exactly! That was also my first episode. And I don't think I can watch again. I don't hold any lies from James but I don't see how a little bit of money can be reason to go on national television and air what an idiot you are. And ruin your entire family. Geez!

-
Sherronna

(No idea why I have to post anonymously to post but oh well. I am new to this!