I'm not exactly a book critic, but I wanted to take a minute to recommend my latest read, Almost French by Sarah Turnbull. It's a memoir about an Australian woman who meets a French man in Bucharest, takes him up on his offer to visit him in Paris, and ulimately decides to stay with him for good. This is a light, humorous read, mostly due to the author's knack for doing and saying exactly the wrong things as she fumbles her way through an undeniably paradoxical culture. There were times when the writing left me a little cold, and the plot isn't exactly thriller-paced, but it is a fascinating glimpse into French life. I was totally engrossed learning all sorts of tidbits about Parisians: their tendency to avoid talking to one another at cocktail parties (apparently it's not uncommon for couples to spend the entire evening talking only to each other), their impression that shorts or jogging pants worn in public equates to polluting their beautiful city, and their neverending devotion to food (I'm totally down with this one).
If, like me, you don't have the time or money for a real vacation, reading this book is a lovely way to vicariously spend your days in Paris. As an added bonus, it will give you some great tips on how to act like less of an obnoxious American should you ever have the chance to visit in person. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment