They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Return of American Idol

I will admit it. . . I am a faithful viewer of "American Idol." I fought it off for the first two seasons, but by season three, I was parked in front of my TV two nights a week. I am even lame enough to vote on occasion, forever cementing my weeknight activities with those of 15-year-olds. I realize this might make me a little bit sad.

Despite my faithful "Idol" viewing, I have recently grown very tired of the three weeks of bad auditions. They were amusing the first season I saw them, and maybe the second, but at this point, it's just ridiculous. I realize the bad auditions are some people's favorite part of the show (and sometimes the only part of it that they watch), but to me, it is just watching the same not funny thing over and over again.

I had, therefore, resolved not to watch auditions this year. Instead, I clearly marked my planner (yes, I marked my planner--please be my friend anyway) for February 12, the first Hollywood round, thus avoiding bad auditions and getting straight to the part where people can actually sing and are not acting like complete dipshits just to get 5 seconds on TV.

The thing is, I have only four shows that I watch: "American Idol," "So You Think You Can Dance," "Grey's Anatomy," and "Private Practice." While Dan and I watch movies and a few select TV shows on DVD, our TV is off otherwise. I watch very little TV each week, but that little bit is critical. My shows are often an escape during a busy week, and I do not mess around. This means you cannot call me when my shows are on. All activities must be scheduled around said shows unless a reliable method of recording is available. Many days, the thing I most look forward to is going home and seeing my shows.

You can, therefore, imagine my distress regarding the writers' strike. I get the strike. I really do. But I am becoming increasingly sad that I cannot see new episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice"--and I am becoming even more sad that I am starting to forget what happened during the last aired episodes. Without these two shows (my regularly scheduled escapes), I am considering tuning into the bad auditions, despite the fact that I will inevitably be annoyed and disappointed. I managed to avoid them tonight, but I can make no promises that I will successfully avoid them for the next three weeks. Perhaps I will get lucky and strike negotiations will begin. Please?

3 comments:

ashley said...

I read yesterday that if the strike is not resolved in the next three weeks, we've seen all we're going to see of the 07-08 television season. And there are no more eps of Grey's, no more of Women's Murder Club and only three more of House (which is not a full season).

Sighs. And supposedly Men in Trees has 12 more episodes in the can, but it's never on in it's regular Friday time slot anymore.

Don't these people realize we have a life?!!

Andria said...

I can't imagine no more TV for the rest of the year?! wow.

I'm right there with you on the American Idol autditions. I resent the fact that they are 2 hours for 3 days for multiple weeks of stuff I really don't need to see again (in fact, I'm a little bored with the main show as well) and yet. . .I feel strangely compelled to watch it just so I know what happens. it's sick. and I'm not proud.
I heard they aren't going to focus as much on the celebrity mentors this year. I thought last year was one of the best, so I'm surprised and wonder what they will replace it with, if anyting. I heard something else about how we'll learn more about the contestants than ever before. Do you remember the first year we actually got to see them in living in the house together and their daily schedule? I kind of liked that approach. It definitely plays more into the personality/popularity side of things though rather than the singing.

Anonymous said...

i'm so that jerk who only watches the bad auditions. but i readily admit that i've had plenty of bad auditions (mostly involving singing) and i sincerely hope that people have laughed at my incompetence the second i left the room. that and the audition process from hollywood until the actual competition starts is so ridiculous and theatrical i can't help but watch it.

but the more AI goes on, the more the bad auditions seem exploitative. like, to even be seen by randy and paula and (sigh) simon you have to pass an audition or two already. so if you get through you're either pretty good or Really terrible. it was better when they just filmed everyone and the bad ones got in just 'cause.

anyway. all i know is...there was an adorable cowboy/farmer from mississippi who's going to hollywood. i think i'm in love with this boy...seriously...adorable...country boy. sang george straight. my heart fluttered, jenn, fluttered.

i miss the office...sigh...