I used to be kind of embarrassed--and a bit regretful--that I was not someone else. In college, I looked back and wondered what I missed in high school by not having an (at least somewhat) rebellious adolescence. I was not the girl who sought adventure, who pushed the boundaries, who always had a good story to tell. I was the girl in Science Club who read classic literature and collected Precious Moments figurines (most thankfully, the latter phase of my life is far behind me). Even beyond college, I was unable to shake the feeling that I should be doing more interesting and adventurous things, that I should be breaking more of the rules.
To some degree, I still have those feelings today. I think most of us can't help but think that we should be making more of lives, doing things that are more daring and adventurous, living a life without regrets. But at the same time, I've learned to embrace the girl in me who is not bold and wild, who is not the life of the party, who prefers quiet predictability.
This was very clear to me on Saturday night, when my evening culminated in this.

This is a 1000-piece puzzle that Dan and I have been completing on and off for the last couple of months, mostly on Saturday or Sunday nights. There were many moments when I joked that we are officially the biggest dorks ever (and, let's face it, we kind of are). But the truth is that when we would settle in together on a Saturday night, complete with hot mulled cider and Erin Bode playing in the background, I was happy. And totally uncool. And that was perfectly okay.
5 comments:
Well, personally, I think that's the coolest and sweetest thing that you and Dan get to sit down together and have such a stimulating, bonding activity. My family really loves puzzles and we usually do them on the holidays, but gone are the days Greg & I might have had quiet evenings to do such an activity together (or that he'd agree to it). so cherish it, I say!
Whereas I am used to computer geeks now and when I first looked at your puzzle with the box on top, I thought for a second that it was a photo of a small circuit board like the ones Dan sometimes messes with. I thought it was odd you were spending your Sat. night over a circuit board!
People who are willing to geek out on something get a happier life overall. I'm convinced of that.
We did sort of rule uncool in our younger days, didn't we? And I sometimes struggle with that yen to have great stories to tell of my rebellious days. But, in our own way, we do...and how much more unique is it that we sang Les Mis in your garage? Ah, I dreamed a dream and all such as that.
Actually, I like putting together puzzles too. So much so that Deb sent me one for my birthday.
Here's to geekitude! :)
funny, I thought it was a circuit board when I skimmed past it the first time, too!
the majority of my day was spent helping my dad with this huge simpsons puzzle i got him for christmas...ah...good times in woodstock.
i kind of went through that whole 'i need better stories' thing about a year ago. feeling like 'okay, i'm 25, when do i stop acting old and start doing stupid things'. but the fact of the matter is, i did plenty of stupid things in high school, and a few in college, and have gotten as stupid as i care to in real life.
i think as long as you're loving what you're doing you have good stories. that's what i think.
yeah.
all hail uncool.
Post a Comment