They came to sit and dangle their feet off the edge of the world. And after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. -Brian Andreas

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sunset

Today was a tough day at work, filled with one crisis after another. I have two customers on my caseload who are suddenly without a place to live. Two others recently had money stolen by a family member (it takes a particularly low person to steal money from a brother or sister who has a developmental disability). My staff were calling me non-stop looking for advice and needing someone to listen, but by the end of the day it took all the energy I had to give them the care and attention that they need. It's days like today that leave me feeling overwrought, stressed, and a bit cynical.

By the time I was heading home at the end of the day, I was exhausted. As I stepped into the parking lot, though, I was greeted by the most stunning sunset. After such a chaotic and overwhelming day, it was simply beautiful. I forced myself to stop and appreciate it, standing outside my car and taking it all in despite the fact that the cold was stinging my hands.

And then, my cell phone rang. It was one of my staff, with yet another crisis. I gave her advice, let her vent about her frustrations, and 10 minutes later, I hung up the phone. When I turned to enjoy the sunset once more, it had already disappeared over the horizon.

After I arrived home, Dan asked me if I had seen the evening sky, and he showed me a picture that he captured on his cell phone. The photo is lovely, but I would have given anything for 10 more minutes.

1 comment:

ashley said...

Glad you were able to get in a peaceful moment - however brief!