The day after Christmas, I was at a store with one of my customers. Expecting to see aisles of Christmas items on clearance, I instead found three full aisles of Valentine's Day merchandise staring me in the face as soon as I walked in the door.I'm sure we could all create a gripe-filled post about the ridiculousness of holiday merchandising. The fact that I saw Christmas merchandise out before Halloween last year is quite disturbing to me.
But I feel it is particularly cruel to subject us all to Valentine's Day this early in the year. Today at the grocery store, I was greeted by glittery red streamers and big paper hearts that read "Perfect" and "Sweetheart." Aside from the brief appearance of New Year's party hats and noisemakers, the time between Christmas and mid-February has now become an assault of red hearts, teddy bears, and Pepto-Bismol-colored candy boxes inflicted upon innocent shoppers. Does anyone know who it is that is actually buying all of this stuff?
I heart many holidays. I will admit that I am occasionally guilty of giving in to holiday commercialism. But Valentine's Day is a different story. While I am generally a sentimental person, and while I have been known to send my family and friends cards mid-February, I simply do not believe that anyone should be subjected to that much fluff, that much pink, and that many heart-shaped items--especially those poor, early morning, blurry-eyed shoppers who are innocently seeking coffee filters or a gallon of milk. I already feel annoyed, and it is only mid-January. Please, please make it stop.
3 comments:
I so do NOT love V-Day. It's so...forced. Like, today, you are supposed to tell people that you love them. Gee, that feels genuine.
But not just tell them verbally - you HAVE to do it with obscenely pink balloons, messages written on candy and stuffed animals. This is one holiday Greg & I never succumbed to.
Word. I had this exact same experience. Lord save my soul, I was in Wal-Mart like, the second day of January, and ALREADY there was all this Valentine's shit everywhere. Is there no rest for the weary? Must we constantly be in preparation for the next holiday? Ugh.
Post a Comment